The Barrachnie Inn.
192 Glasgow Road, Garrowhill, Baillieston, Glasgow. G69 6EU.Tel: 01417711607.
Barrachnie Inn. 1991.
Built in 1905 by architects MacWhannel and Rogerson, West Regent Street, Glasgow for publican Gilbert Stewart. The architects designed one of Glasgow best known pubs St. Mungo Vintners in Queens Street. The interior of the Barrachnie was very similar to that of the Queen Street premises. When the Barrachnie was built in 1905 it was known as Gilbert Stewart's Vaults, the premises were built on the site of the old business which was in operation in the early 1800s by Stewart's grandfather.. The Stewart family took control of the pub around 1866. Situated at the corner of Glasgow Road and Springhill Road the new hostelry stood out from the rest of the buildings in the area with its beautiful Elizabethan style.
Interior view of the main bar 1955. Chargehand then was a gentleman called John Reid.
The interior was just as impressive, passing through the vestibule the first sign of class was observed with its paneled leaded patterned glass, to the right a large semi circular bar counter and spirit rack stood gracefully against the wall. The carved woodwork was of teak and mahogany, tables and chairs were placed around the bar. On the left two small snug's faced the counter bar. Two large fireplaces gave the bar a warm glow during winter evenings, the pub also had beautiful stained glass windows one showed a picture of the old premises the other resembled the new hostelry. To the rear of the premises there were two large sitting rooms, all the modern appliances were installed like steam heaters, electric lights and bells.
Interior view of this splendid bar circa 1905.
In 1955 landlady Miss Grace Stevenson made some changes to this old establishment, a new cocktail bar lounge was laid out, which was originally a room and kitchen, the main bar was also redecorated at this time.
Interior view of the new cocktail lounge. 1955.
Barrachnie Inn. 2005.