Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


The Barge.

Tattershall Road, Glasgow. G33 5BG. Tel: 01417749384.

Barge the

The Barge. 1991.


In the NEWS 1978...

Night Gun Terror Came to City Pub...

George Williams (31) today told how gun terror erupted in a city pub.

He described how he became aware of two masked men, one with a shotgun, moving through the lounge and people running to hide behind pillars. He told Hugh Morton, BC, prosecuting at the High Court in Glasgow, "I thought it was a kid-on."

But the next thing that happened was one of the men smashing the shotgun over the head of a customer. He went on, "There was a flash and a bang and there was a burning sensation in my right arm."

Mr Williams, of 128 Collassie Drive, Glasgow, told how he was still off work and being treated.


He said he had spent six weeks in hospital, then another three weeks and he showed the jury his arm which was still in a sling. He was giving evidence at the trial of James Steele (23) of 924 Tollcross Road, Tollcross, Glasgow.

Steele denies firing a shotgun at Mr Williams to his severe injury and attempting to murder him in the "Barge" public house in Tattershall Road, Garthamlock, Glasgow on July 25 last.

He also denies striking another man, Andrew Docherty of 1 Gardyne Street, Glasgow to his injury and discharging a loaded air weapon at him. Mr Williams told the court he was unable to identify the two men because of their masks.

Steele had lodged a special defence of alibi. The judge, Lord Wylie granted a warrant for the arrest of a second accused who failed to appear for trial.

Det. Insp, Charles Whitelaw (51) said he was put in charge of the case.

He said, "I had the impression witnesses were afraid to tell the whole truth." Asked by Mr Morton if he meant the witnesses were afraid of the police the inspector replied that he meant they were afraid of the masked men with the shotgun.

After being arrested Steele is alleged to have said, "I can't understand why he was shot on the upper arm. It was only a frightener. I was pointing the gun at his seat."

Detective Inspector Whitelaw agreed with Mr Morton that he thought the accused had no intention of shooting Mr Williams or even that he knew the man.


Go to top of page