113 Trongate, Glasgow.
Britannia Vaults. 1880s.
The Britannia Vaults was situated at 113 Trongate and 2 New Wynd. One of the earliest licensees' was a John Graham who was landlord in 1858.
When Gildard & MaqcFarlans' theatre first opened it appears to have been called Willie Campbell's Sining Saloon, within a few months John Brand took over and renamed it the Britannia Music Hall.
In 1847 John Couper Spirit Merchant was trading at 113-115 Trongate, he also ran a public house at 17 McAlpine Street- 6 William Street, Glasgow.
Britannia Music Hall. 1857-1938. Also known as the Panoptican.
Robert Hillcoat a well-known Wine & Spirit Merchant in town was approached by Albert Ernest Prichard (Panoptican,) he needed to find more space and beneath the pub on the ground floor. Prichard and Hillcoat after months of excavation it was ready to open 4th May 1908. The pub had iron cages with birds, reptiles and curios to attract customers the the Panoptican.