Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


The Cessnock.

22 Harvie Street, Glasgow. G51 1BW.Tel: 01414270352.


Cessnock Bar

The Cessnock. 1938.

Situated at the corner of Harvie Street and Brand Street.

The Cessnock was very popular in the 30s, the Festival Bar was a popular Rangers Shop as it is today but under a different name The Louden, the same owners as the Louden on Duke Street.

In 1891 Thomas Downie acquired a licence to sell wine & spirits from these premises, he also owned pubs at 216 Paisley Road West and 129 St. George's Road, the old Carnarvon Bar.

Mr Downie lived not far from this pub at 259 Paisley Road West with his large family, he continued in this pub until the 1920s. He was a well known figure in the Scottish Licensed Trade as well as the Glasgow and District Defence Association.

During the 1930s David Howden traded from these premises, he also had a Howdens public house at 1605 Paisley Road West. Frank Howden was licensee in 1960.

Ernest MacKay Edgar took over in 1962 and ran this popular bar through the 1970s, he was also licensee at the Waverley Bar, Langlands Road.

Francis Howden

Left to right A M Barr, Market Bar, F Howden, Cessnock Bar, T Kirk, George Ballantine & Son Ltd, and J Weir, Alexander Bros, Wines Ltd. 1958.


Cessnock Bar interior 1939

The Cessnock Bar with six bar staff 1939. Barman Alexander Lamb is second on the left behind the bar. Alexander Lamb formerly worked in the Star Bar, Eglinton Street


Festival Bar

The Festival Bar. 1991.


Go to top of page