E Smyth.267 Lawmoor Street, Gorbals, Glasgow.
Edward Smyth took this old pub over in the late 1950s.
Up until the 1930s Lawmoor Street was called South Wellington Street and the pub sat at the corner of Cumberland Street.
In 1890 Irishman Daniel McMenemy owned this pub he sold it on to Louis Flanangan another Irishman. The Gorbals like the Gallowgate had many Irish publican's, and to pass it on or sell it to another from the same part of Ireland was not unusual.
When the Gorbals was flattened by the bulldozers, some of the publican's removed to other parts of the city, Eddie took over the Anvil Inn, Smithycroft Road in 1960.
Mr Smyth was president of the Glasgow Vintners and a member of the Vintners Golf Club.
March 1971, Glasgow Vintners honour St. Patrick's Day. Left to right Mrs. J Flynn, Mr Eddie Smyth, president, Miss Roberta Reid of Aer Lingus with her basket of shamrocks, Canon McGuckin, Administrator, St. Andrew's Cathedral, Mrs. E Smyth and J Flynn, senior vice-president.
Glasgow Vintners 1971, Mr J Flynn, Mrs. Flynn, Mrs. and Bailie W S T Park, Mrs. Smyth and E Smyth.
Group of Glasgow Vintners Golf Club, 1969, with Eddie Smyth 4th on the left. Also included in the photograph is Mr Raymond Strain, A McDonald, J Boyle, J Devlin, J Kennedy, C Sweeney, P McGhee, F Carr, J Murphy, H McLaughlin and Peter Smith.
The Glasgow Vintners Golf Club annual dinner and dance presentation of prizes in the Eagle Lodge, Bishopbriggs. 1970. Left to right Charles Sweeney, Arlington Bar (Captain's Prize); Jack Devlin, Oxford Tavern (Cantrell & Cochrane Cup); John Boyle, Waverley Bar (Queen Anne Trophy); T Ferry, Alamo Bar, Paisley (Silver Stag and Club Championship); Hugh McLaughlin, Ascot Bar (Dunn & Moore Coronation Cup); Peter Smith, Shedden's Bar (Skol Cup); Bill Martin, Calypso Bar (Vintners Tankard); Eddie Smyth, Anvil Inn (The Younger Putter); Ian Kennedy, Molls Mire (The Brady Trophy).)