The Grafton Bar.274 Cathedral Street, Glasgow.
The Grafton Bar. 1960s.
The Grafton Bar was named after the street on the corner of the pub, Grafton Street.
The first licensee to hold a certificate was a publican called Francis Anthony Mulholland Dailly, he acquired the pub in October 1909. He continued to serve the locals here until after the First World War.
During the depression on the 1930s Mrs C McGarrigle and Mr J McGarrigle were running the pub. They soon gave up the business and sold it to William Cran Forbes a wine and spirit merchant, in 1937.
Many of the drinkers will still remember James McGuire, the licensee who ran the pub in the 1960s. Like many of the old houses and businesses in Cathedral Street the pub too was demolished in 1969 in the City Council's redevelopment scheme in the 1960s and 70s.
However Mr. McGuire reopened a new Grafton lounge bar in Sandyford Place a few years later.
During the WW1 there were another 6 public houses on Cathedral Street, which included McLaren's at number 137, Pragnell's at 214-16, McArthur's at 339-41, Stewart's at 486, Lang's at 481-83 and the Cosy Den at 496 Cathedral Street at the corner of Buchanan Street.
Cathedral Street in 1960s. The Grafton can be seen on the left hand side of the image.