Jarvey's Inn.49 Kelso Street, Glasgow. G14 0LF. Tel: 01419412880.
Jarvey's Inn. 1991.
Opened in 1959 by Joseph McCabe a well known publican from the south side of the city. Joseph previously had the famous Kick Off bar 255 Rutherglen Road, Gorbals, when the City Council started a vast reconstruction of the Gorbals from the 50s his old pub was demolished like many other famous landmarks in the area.
The Forum was Scotlands latest roadhouse, it consisted of a lounge bar, public bar, an off sales department named The Flagon and an extensive cellar. The new plaster ceiling was a work of art and was only one of its kind in the country. It had a blue gret surface, which by the clever use of lighting gave the appearance of movement.
Interior view of the lounge, note the featured ceiling. The mural designed by the students of Glasgow school of art.
The use of fine woodwork was used in the establishment like golden Arfromosia wood which formed the lounge bar and Zebrano wood panels surrounded the windows. The wall seating, chairs and tables were upholstered in various colours. The use of bells were located at each table, after pressing the bell a dashboard was illuminated so the waitresses would know where the customer was.
The outer hall leading to the lounge had a mosaic wall, floodlit by night and visible from the street was designed by students of Glasgow School of Art in collaboration with Mr H Hellier head of the interior design department of the school.
Exterior view of the Forum 1959.
The bar itself had metal grilles which came down at 9.25pm. Architects T M Miller designed the exterior of the building with concrete tiles and bricks, they took advantage of the natural incline to provide a vast cellarage, this space was divided into netted cages, one for the stockmen's supply and three for the separate bars. The cellar is linked by separate electronic lifts.
The opening ceremony was performed by W B Gow of the Scottish Licensed Trade.
Mr & Mrs Joseph McCabe.
Other members of the McCabe family ran pubs in different parts of the city. Peter McCabe ran the Mermaid in Cowcaddens. John McCabe ran the Shakespeare in Raeberry Street, Woodside, and Patrick McCabe who had pubs in Moffat Street and Cumberland Street. Paul Peter ran the new Coffin Bar, Whitevale Street.
Mr Joseph McCabe. 1959.
John McCabe died in the Second World War aged 37, he was chargehand of a public house in Royston Road until 1937 to take over a pub of his own the Shakespeare. He was a member of the Licensed Trade Defence Association for many years, his father Patrick owned the pubs in Moffat Street and Cumberland Street. John's wife Margaret then took over the licence she was helped by sons John and Gerard.
Una Anderson of Aer Lingus pins a shamrock on Joseph McCabe. The occasion was at the Glasgow Vintners St. Patrick's Day dinner at the Grosvenor Restaurant. 1965.
Mr Edward Shaw, Landlord of the Forum, 1978.