Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


The Mally Arms.

111 Eglinton Street, Glasgow. G5.


Mally Arms

Mally Arms. 1991.

The Mally Arms was a famous landmark on the south side of the city for many years.

It was named after Mr Malachy McCann the owner who purchased the premises in 1931. It was formerly an Umbrella, Case and Bag manufacturers owned by G H Tomkins and before that in the 1920s was a Funeral Office run by John Blair.

John McCann was a well known figure in the Scottish Licensed Trade, for many years he collected vast amounts of money for various charities. The Mally Arms was full of curios infact it was like a stall at the Barras.

It was a shame the place was pulled down a few years ago.

Mally Arms interior1

Left to right Roy Grier, senior vice-president of the Glasgow Licensed Trade Association, Mrs Grier, Mr William Wishart, Mr Michael Heraghty, Mrs Heraghty, Mr John McCann, secretary of the Glasgow Licensed Trade Association and Mrs McCann. 1974.

Mally Arms interior2

Some of the Tennents Bowling Trophy competitors. left to right D Clugston, Bulloch & Co., H Gallagher, Tikconnail Bar; D Harkness, Bulloch & Co; James Murray, Ye Land Bar, Gallowgate; John Murray, Murray's Bar, Dalmarnock Road; J Boyle, The Waverley; J Thom, Eglinton Street, J McCann, Mally Arms. 1968.

Mally Arms interior

Interior of the Mally Arms with John McCann. Miss Ann Cumming knocks over a massive pile of coins raised by the customers of the Mally Arms, the money was given to the Hansel Village for the handicapped children in Ayrshire. This was the third time the Mally Arms helped raise money for this charity. 1971.


Go to top of page