Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


Cabin Bar.

31 Shawbridge Street, Pollokshaws, Glasgow.

The Cabin Bar 31 Shawbridge Street

The Cabin Bar on the left hand side of this image in brown. You can just make out the McEwans' sign. This wonderful image is from a great book called Old Pollokshaws by George Rountree. A great web site with loads of Pollokshaws images can be seen at



Shawbridge Street with the Cabin Bar in the center of the image. From Old Pollokshaws by George Rountree.1961.

The Cabin Bar was established in the early 1880s owned by George Dalrymple a well known and respected Glasgow Brewer and Wine & Spirit Merchant. Mr Dalrymple gave up the Shawbridge Street pub and was taken over by James Paterson in 1895.

James Paterson

Mr James Paterson. 1901.

James Paterson was born on his father's farm near Strathaven. He began his education at Gilberton School in the district, his father removing to Forrest Field, near Airdrie, to another farm, he completed his education at Limerigg Academy, near the famous Black Loch.

When it was time for him to earn a living he assisted his father in the working of the farm, where he remained for five years, till on the expiry of the lease, it was given up. Looking out for himself and with the idea that an agricultural life, however he entered the services of the North British Railway. Engaged in the first instance at Hamilton Station, and in two years he was transferred to the locomotive department at Cowlairs, Springburn, and in the pursuit of his duties there, was all over the North British Railway System, which extended nearly all over Scotland.

After ten years with the railway he quit to enter the spirit trade in Glasgow and entered the employment of the well known firm of John Graham and Sons, wholesale and retail wine and spirit merchants, 68 Bath Street, to learn the trade. This start was a most auspicious one, as he could have selected no better school in which to learn all the details of the licensed trade, from bar work to cellarage, than the firm of John Graham and Sons.

Mr Paterson took full advantage of the opportunities thus afforded him and gaining the thorough confidence of his employers he was entrusted with the responsibility of every department in their business, an education which he cherished for the rest of his lift. Remaining with John Graham and Sons for three and a half years, he then transferred his services to Robert Graham & Sons, an equally well known and respected firm, whose head offices were at 30 London Street now London Road.

After two years, having been in all their different branches, finding himself master of the trade in all its detail, and thoroughly equipped in every way, he determined to strike out for himself.

In 1895, 31 Main Street, Pollokshaws came on the market and Mr Paterson happily secured them. In a relatively short time he brought up the takings and from then on never looked back. He made a good living as a Pollokshaws publican.

James Paterson took a keen interest in all that concerned the welfare of the Burgh. He was a zealous Freemason of Lodge Royal Arch, no., 153, Pollokshaws, and belonged to the Sir John Stirling Maxwell Lodge of Goodfellows.

In 1888 he was fortunate in gaining the heart and hand of Miss Wood, of Springburn, who occasionally gracefully assists him in the conduct of the business. He met is wife during his stay in Springburn with the railway company. James was the treasurer of the local branch of the Wine, Beer and Spirit Trade Association, an office he most acceptably filled in 1898.

James Paterson served the locals until after the First World War. In 1921 John Dickson took over the business and continued for a few years before the McCarrol family took over.

During the depression in the 1930s John McCarrol was running the premises, a family business that succeeded until the premises were demolished in the 1960s. The Cabin Bar was destroyed in a storm when the chimney head above the gable in the adjacent tenement fell on pub, a sad end to the history of the Cabin Bar.


Go to top of page