Cawder Vaults.149 Springburn Road, Glasgow. G21 1YB.
Cawder Vaults. 1991.
This old established pub is now closed down. It was set on fire like many of our old Glasgow pub in recent years, there seems to be more than usual in the last couple of years. Follies, the Bay Horse in West Nile Street and the Clarendon on Maryhill Road.
Established in 1876 this old pub was owned by Alexander Kay. Alexander died a very young man leaving his wife Christina and small daughters. Christina had to run the pub to keep her young family and her house above the pub, she employed a servant Jessie who looked after the kids while she ran a very busy public house, which faced the old Caley (Caledonian Railway Company.) Mrs McKay sold the pub to well known brothers George and John MacLachlan in 1881, the brothers also owned another pub at 400 Springburn Road at the corner of Palermo Street. The MacLachlan brothers owned dozens of pubs in and around Glasgow including the Castle Brewery in Maryhill, Auchentoshan Distillery, Duntocher and the Castle Chambers in West Regent Street. All of MacLachlan's pubs were called Castle Bar or Castle Vaults whoever when Tennent's Caledonian Brewery took over MacLachlan's business the pub had a name change The Cawder Vaults.
The Cawder Vaults went on fire and was demolished shortly afterwards.