64 Clyde Place corner of 1 West Street, Glasgow, S.S.
Clyde Place in the South Side of the City had eight public houses at the beginning of the 1900s.
The last pub on this short street was the Ceilidh Bar owned by James McWilliam. Mr James McWilliam was in partnership with John McWilliam and traded under the title of J & J McWilliam. The firm acquired a licence for 64 Clyde Place in 1877.
James and John already had premises at 3a - 5 Stirling Street now known as the Strathdie Bar and Wardrop's Court, 38 Queen Street, Glasgow.
James McWilliam the senior partner of the firm was living at 32 Grafton Square before moving to better accommodation at 300 St Vincent Street. John was living at Fairfield, in Paisley.
Read more on Andrew McWilliam another member of the family. Click here.
James was a prominent member in the Scottish Licensed Trade and the Scottish Licensed Trade Defence Association since 1865. He was elected Director from 1870-1890 and became President. James sadly passed away in 1901.
His funeral processed to Central Station and conveyed by the 10-25 train to Wemyss Bay thence to Campletown. His remains were interred in the Kilkivan Churchyard. He was missed by various members in the Scottish Licensed Trade.
After Mr McWilliam's death the premises were taken over by the trustees and Alexander McWilliam became the licensee. A few years later the pub was sold to William Urquart another well known publican in the city.
William Urquart also ran a pub at 148 Nelson Street at the corner of West Street not far from the Ceilidh Bar. William paid an annul rent of £76 10/- (shillings).
Other licensees were Patrick Lavelle and Robert Martin.
In 1875 these premises were occupies by the London Clothing Company.
In 1870 McAllister & Co., wholesale and retail grocer occupied the site.