Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


The Clyde Shipping Bar.

85-87 Finnieston Street, Glasgow.

Image of the Clyde Shipping Bar 85-87 Finnieston Street Glasgow

The Clyde Shipping Bar, 85-87 Finnieston Street. 1950.

There has been a public house on this site since 1850. The first licensee to acquire a licence for these premises was spirit dealer James Higgins. Mr Higgins continued serving the locals here until 1867.

William Richardson was the next spirit merchant to own this old pub. William lived with his wife and family at 1 Kent Road. By 1875 Mr Richardson also owned a public house in Cranston Street many will remember this old pub as the Prince of Wales Tavern. William contined to hold the licence until 1892.

In 1881 William Richardson was 56 years of age and living at 111 Finnieston Street with his daughter Mary.

The next gentleman to hold the licence was John Bathgate. John was also a restaurateur in Linthouse Hall, Govan. John only lasted a few years here and gave it up in 1895.

In 1895 John Fraser acquired the licence. John paid an annual rent of £90 for the premises. He lived at 30 Derby Street before moving to better accommodation at Comleypark, Dunfermline. Mr John Fraser continued in this pub until 1923.

Alexander S Donald then took over the licence in 1924. Alexander also owned the Clyde Vaults, 150 Gallowgate and a public house at 13 Green Street, Clydebank. Mr Alexander S Donald was the last person to hold the licence and the pub was demolished in the early 1950s.


Go to top of page