Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


The Hebridean Vaults.

377 Argyle Street,Glasgow.


Etch of the Hebridean Vaults

The Hebridean Vaults. 1888.

The Hebridean Vaults sat at the corner of Argyle Street and James Watt Street. Before Anderston became part of Glasgow this was just a country road known as Anderston Walk. An old howff was situated on this site called "Peace and Plenty." In 1844 landlord David Limont ran this old howff along with a popular public house on Bridge Street, Stevenson Taylor later took over this pub and is now familiarly known as the Glaswegian.

John Fisher was running the pub in 1875, he had several pubs in Glasgow and was very successful in his time. In 1888 partners Mr W C Bunten and Mr A A McCallum was running this pub and renames it the Hebridean Vaults. Mr Bunten gave his personal attention to the business, he sent his early days at sea. After filling the various pasts as cabin boy to steward he found himself ashore and in possession of a certificate to run a pub. Mr Bunten's business partner Mr McCallum had very little to do with the running of the pub, he stayed on board the "Hebridean" Steamer which left the Broomielaw to St. Kilda, he only ventured into the pub when when he came to port.

The pub was frequented by many sailors from all over the world, a good stock of whisky was always available at the Hebridean Vaults including Talisker, Islay, Campbeltown, Long John, good quality ale was also kept in the cool cellars.

In 1890 Charles Marchant took over the pub paying an annul rent of £197, his son also Charles had a pub at 218 Broomielaw, young Charles served in the First World War at which time his wife took over the running of the pub. Charles Marchant sen. ran the Hebridean Vaults until the 1920s. In the 30s the pub was run by wine & spirit Merchant William Brown.

Many will remember Edward Foley, he owned the pub in the 1950s - 60s, and the known as the Stag Bar, he also ran the Station Bar, Port Dundas Road, Glasgow. The pub was demolished shortly afterwards due to the City Council's redevelopment scheme.


Go to top of page