Oak Bank Bar.
416 Garscube Road, Glasgow corner of Oakbank Street.
The Oak Bank Bar. 1960s.
The Oak Bank Bar was licensed in 1874 by Spirit Merchant Edward McGie. When he passed away his wife took over the business in the 1880s. The pub stayed in the family for many years. In 1889 James White was licensee was business was continued by Annie Bilsland McGie White from 1896 until 1903. Mrs White was also licensee for public houses at 62 Renfrew Street at the corner of Hope Street (the Argyle Vaults) many will remember this old pub as Dunbar's, 16 Burnside Street and 382 New City Road at the corner of Cornwall Street the Kingsway.
In 1904 wine and spirit merchant William Rose took over the Oak Bank Bar and continued to serve the locals here until after the First World War. William Road also ran the Dramatic Bar at the corner of Sauchiehall Street and West Nile Street.
Mr John Wintergill got his training in this bar from his mother Dorothy who was licensee in 1960. Mr Wintergill went on to own the Old Canteen Bar on the Gallowgate and Wintergill's on Great Western Road.
The Oak Bank Bar on the right with the Thistle Bar on the left.