203 Shawbridge Street, Glasgow. formerly 71 King Street, Pollokshaws.
corner of 1 Cogan Street.
The Railway Vaults.
This wonderful image is from a great book called Old Pollokshaws by George Rountree. A great web site with loads of Pollokshaws images can be seen at
The Railway Vaults sat at the corner of Shawbridge Street and Cogan Street, Pollokshaws, Glasgow. This part of Shawbridge Street was formerly called King Street, Pollokshaws and was sometimes called Maxwell Cross by the locals.
In 1893 King Street and Main Street had a total of 18 licensed premises, 15 pubs and 3 licensed grocers (off sales).
During the First World War William Forrest was landlord of the Railway Vaults, it was sold on in 1919 to publican Matthew Reilly who paid £55 per annum in rent.
During the 1930s William Sinclair was licensee, the pub stayed in the same family until it was closed down and demolished in the 1960s.