Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan



312 Clyde Street, Glasgow.


Vintners. 1991.

There has been licensed premises here since 1845. Wholesale Wine & Spirit Merchant Arthur B McLachlan traded here until 1868.

The title above the doorway was Custom House Vaults for many years until 1881 when Melville Fraser of the St. Mungo Vintners Company took over the building. He changed the name to St. Mungo Vintners Company.

Alexander Fraser the founder of the business had premises in Queen Street and Argyle Street trading as a Wine Importer, Wholesale Spirit and Malt Liquor Merchant. His son Melville Fraser expanded the business opening new premises at 9 Queen Street, Dumbarton Road, Argyle Street, Norfolk Street and licensed grocers business in St. Vincent Place. The old pub in Argyle Street was an institution known by the name of His Lordships Larder, which ran into Adam's Court Lane off St. Enoch Square.

Melville Fraser died in 1917 at which times Alexander Gladstone became trustee, manager and licensee of St. Mungo Vintners.

Vintners old

The Vintners, Clyde Street. 1930s.

Another Alexander Fraser became licensee and chairman and manager of St. Mungo Vintners in 1925. He was born in 1890, educated in Whitehill School, and was destined for the legal profession but instead joined the staff of Steel, Coulson & Co. as understudy to his father who was cashier with the firm, he later became a director of the firm. During the First World War Alexander joined the Artistes Rifles and was afterwards commissioned to the Black Watch and served as an officer in the 4/5th, receiving the Military Cross for his gallant work.

Mr Fraser took a keen interest in the catering and the promotion of catering education. He was president of the Glasgow Restaurateurs and Hotelkeeper's Association and was the first chairman of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Branch of the Caterers Association, he was also a member of the committee of the Scottish branch of the Hotel & Catering Institute. He was also a member of the Progressive Party and entered into Glasgow Town Council by winning a bye-election in Blythswood Ward a position he held for three years. He played a leading part in the Former Pupils Club of his old school and was a member of the Queen's Park Football Club.

Clyde Street 1960s

Clyde Street during the 1960s with Vintners in the background.

He was a member of other institutions including the Incorporation of Cordiners, Trades House Masonic Lodge no. 1241, St. Mungo Vintners Golf Club, and of the old course Ranfurly Club, president of the Cosmopolitan Club and trustee of the Penny Savings Bank and a member of the Calton Parish Church.

Mr Fraser died in 1956 aged 66 years, he left his wife and three daughters. Robert McLean then became director and manager of the company which consisted of the Clyde Street and the Queen Street premises.

The Queen Street premises closed down in 1974 and the interior fittings and bar counter were dismantled and removed to the United States. The Clyde Street premises survived well into the 1980's, it became a well known gay pub and closed down in the 1990s and demolished a few years ago.

Robert McLean

Left to right Robert McLean, St. Mungo Vintners, A McCrae, Mac's Place, Bridgeton and J Roberts, Market Inn, Whitburn at the Scottish Benevolent function 1963.


Go to top of page