Dow's.9-11 Dundas Street, Glasgow. G1 2AH.Tel: 014133279351.
This old established pub dates back to around 1875, however there has been licensed premises on this site since 1841, James Adams ran the Railway Tavern from here, he previously sold Confectionery goods from the premises. In 1843 his wife took over the licence until the middle of the 1800s.
Mrs Walker then took control of the Railway Tavern and according to the Glasgow Post Office Directory she had Commercial Lodgings too.
James Fraser was the next licensee, he changed the name to the Aberdeen Hotel in 1857, hoping to attract new customers from the granite city as they came off the station platform across the road.
Peter Buchanan of Buchanan Scott & Co. 1880s.
In 1862 it had another name change the Dundas Hotel, run by Fred Stiller.
In 1875 Matthew Wylie took over by then it was a public house. Mr Wylie had other pubs in the city including Russell Street and Sauchiehall Street.
In 1880 Buchanan Scott & Co took over, the name of the pub became the Strathendrick, senior partner Peter Buchanan was licensee, the firm had other pubs in the city The Blane Valley, Glassford Street, the Old Hay House, Canning Street now London Road, 18 Govan Street, Dumbarton Road now 1004 Argyle Street known as the Two Ways and Cowcaddens. In 1892 Buchanan Scott & Co, ceased to call the big draught of ale or porter a scooner, now entitled it s "tall Beer". A member of the Licensed Trade over-heard a tradesman who caused the barman to laugh when he asked for a glass of tall beer. It was however, explained to him that the "tall" referred to the measure and not the contents of the glass.
Dow's October. 2005.
Samuel Dow's. 1980s.