The White Elephant.338 Gallowgate, Glasgow.
The White Elephant. 1991.
The White Elephant stood out amongst all the pubs on the Gallowgate for it's unusual name. There has been licensed premises on this site since the early 1800s. Over the years many spirit merchant's have come and gone, serving the locals with their favourite tipple.
In 1866 George Jeffrey took over the pub, he ran another public house on Watt Street at the corner of Ardgowan Street, south side. The pub was a real success for George as he held the licence for over fifty years. The pub was sold on to William P Arthur in 1911, Mr Arthur was fined £5.00 at the Sheriff Court a few years later for allowing liquor to be consumed on his premises during prohibited hours at 10.45pm, an hour and three quarters after closing time. When the Police raided his premises on the Gallowgate he said that no liquor was being sold but he was giving the liquor to his friends free of charge. He lost his licence in 1920 as a result.
Another well known and respected member of the Scottish Licensed Trade to own the pub was Robert Eadie who ran this pub successfully for 30 years, Mr Eadie came from a well known family of spirit merchant's in the city, the family owned some of the most popular bar in town including premises on Rutherglen Road, Watt Street, Caledonia Road, Eglinton Street and West Scotland Street. Robert Eadie was heavily involved in the Thistle Burns Club and was appointed President in 1957.
The last publican to hold the licence for the White Elephant was Tam Patrick before the pub was finally demolished in 1987, Tam removed to new premises across the road at the Earl of Lennox, now Hoops Bar.
To read more on the pubs on the Gallowgate read up & Doon the Gallowgate by John Gorevan. A copy can be bought for a few pounds at the Hielan Jessie on the Gallowgate or contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org