The First & Last.
1969-71 Maryhill Road, Glasgow. G20 0BX.Tel: 01419465339.
First & Last. 1991.
The first pub you reach coming from Milngavie and the last pub on Maryhill Road is the First & Last.
In 1885 Alexander McLeod ran this old pub, he was the brother of Councilor William McLeod who owned pubs in Maryhill and Parliamentary Road. Alexander was born in Springburn and educated at the Balgray School under Mr Watson and afterwards at the Martyrs' School, Barony Street, Glasgow. He got his training in the licensed trade from John Baird, Kirk Street, Townhead, where he gained his apprenticeship after 5 years he worked his way to second hand in the Baird's pub.
His elder brother Bailie William McLeod entered into the trade and secured his assistance in the building up of his large and prosperous business. Alexander remained with his brother for thirteen years and left to start a business of his own account taking over a pub on Main Street, Maryhill the (First & Last.)
In 1890 Alexander acquired the Little Mill public house at Bowling. The Little Mill was an old fashioned inconvenient roadside public house in need of a lot of care and attention. Situated in the main part of Bowling for business on the main road from Glasgow to Dumbarton, opposite the shipbuilding yard of Scott & Co. the principal industry of the place and within a stones throw of the railway station. Mr McLeod found he had secured premises well worth developing and capable of doing a very much extended trade.
Mr Alexander McLeod.
Many years ago the Little Mill was known as "The Dunters," this name was applied to it from the fact that in the absence of bells the customers when attendance was required, "dunted" or rapped on the tables with the empty measure. Should the company sit too long, in the opinion of the landlord, or become uproarious, a gentle hint was given to them by asking if they had "dunted."
Alexander like his brother was a member of many societies, he was an enthusiastic free mason, a Depute Master of Chapter of Lodge no. 510, Maryhill also a Royal Arch Mason of Chapter Cathedral 67. A keen bowler and president of the Maryhill Bowling Club, he was skip of the Kelvindock Curling Club, a member of the Benevolent trade.
He was known for his love of Collie dogs having prize winners at the best shows all over the country, Heather Meg, Heather Banner and Milton Ralph were amongst the best known.
Alexander McLeod's "Little Mill" formerly called "Dunters" Mr McLeod is standing at the entrance with one of his favourite collie dogs.
First & Last. August 2005.